Format: 4 Days. 11 AM to 5 PM Eastern Time. One hour break for lunch.
March 22 – 25, 2021
May 24 – 27, 2021
Webinars are presented live on the web using Zoom. This will have the same content as the seminars we give at hotels, but spaced over four days instead of three days. Dr. Joel Berk will be presenting, live, with Q&A and group projects throughout. We will send you, in advance of the webinar, printed copies of the materials which you will use during the four days.
Earn 22 CPE credit for CPA’s.
CPE CREDIT for CPAs available for all States
Prerequisite — Completion of FAI’s Seminar for Non-Financial Professionals or a position at the utility in the finance, accounting or the rates area or an educational background including at least three classes in accounting. 22 CPE Credits for CPAs.
OUTLINE OF THE SEMINAR TOPICS
Rate of Return Regulation
– Basics of Ratemaking
– Determination of Rate Base
– Revenue Requirement Issues
Modifications to Rate of Return Regulation
– Adjustment Clauses, Trackers, Riders, Deferrals
– Rate Freezes, Decoupling
– Formula Ratemaking
Energy and Gas Adjustment Clauses
GAAP For Utilities
– Why and How GAAP Differs
– Plant Write-Offs
– Regulatory Assets and When to Remove Them
Capitalization Versus Expense
– GAAP, Tax, Ratemaking and Managerial Accounting
– Influences and Motivations
– Problems in Recovery of Plant Costs
– Retirement Units of Property
– Accounting for Plant Retirement
– Risks of Reserve Deficiency
– Asset Retirement Obligations
– Mass Property Accounting
Accounting for Income Taxes
– Permanent Differences
– Temporary Differences
A Problem of Definition
– Statement of Cash Flows
– Different Definitions for New Income, Op Inc and Cash Flow
CWIP and AFUDC
– AFUDC versus Interest Capitalization
For a list of organizations who have sent people to our classes, look at our previous participant list.